Wednesday 27 January 2016

Is there anything wrong in marrying a woman who has a child?

My name is Seyi Akinbami and I have an issue that has been weighing me down. I am in love with a woman I would want to settle down with and I have proposed to her and she has accepted.
But the problem we have that has hindered our marriage plans is that my parents, especially my mother, have vowed that I would not marry Jola because she had a child » out of wedlock.
My parents are the old school type who believe that they must give me their blessings before I could get married and despite my argument that Jola made a mistake like many young ladies and that she is a good woman, my mother has stood her ground and is of the opinion that for a woman to have given birth before marriage, it means she must have been a bad girl.
My father on his part, says it has never happened in our family and would not want me to be the one to soil the name of the family.
But I love Jola and I feel I should just go ahead and marry her after all, I will be the one to live with her and not my parents. But on the other hand, I don't want to offend my family.
How do I go about this issue?
Drop your comment for more debate

No comments:

Post a Comment